Text size: A A A
The Bedlam Furnace, Ironbridge, Telford and Wrekin

click for a full screen image
The remains of a coke-fired blast furnace. It was among the first in the country to be built specifically for coke smelting. It was built in 1756-7 by the Madeley Wood Company. Then bought by Abraham Darby III in 1776 and taken over by the Reynolds Brothers in 1796. In the 19th century one furnace was used as a brick kiln. The rest of the site was abandoned during the 1840s. It is now part of the of the Ironbridge Gorge open air museum. Read official list description. Download the Brick Making Teacher's Kit to find out more. Download the Forges and Foundries Teacher's Kit to find out more.

Copyright: Mr J K Aldred. Source English Heritage.NMR
Reference: 362223
Location: Telford and Wrekin Date Taken: 13 September 2002
Period: Georgian (1714 - 1836)
Keywords: kiln, forge, iron, industry, Georgian (1714 - 1836)
Images By Theme: N/A

Back to Page © Historic England 2014 - All rights reserved.