This photograph shows male and female cyclists in Hyde Park, London, with spectators lining the route. It dates to around the 1890s.
Worksheet: Were the Victorians like us? - Leisure
Worksheet: Were the Victorians like us? - Industry
Were the Victorians like us?Analysing a selection of Victorian photographs can provide evidence to answer the question above. This could done be using some of the Images by Theme collections provided, such as Victorian Industry or Victorian Leisure.
The worksheets below provide guidance and templates on how this could be done.
Learning Aims and Outcomes
- Describe and begin to explain different interpretations and representations
- Make informed judgements about the validity of information
- Identify source material that can be used to answer specific questions
- An understanding of when the Victorian period was would be useful
Extended Learning and Useful Links
- Ask pupils to choose one aspect of Victorian life and do a direct comparison with today, for example the photograph of ice skating near Oxford: what are they wearing, what would we wear, what would each be made of, would they be allowed to do the same things today etc.
- Link - Victorian Leisure - London
- Link - How did the Victorians have fun?
| || |